To make an origami paper egg, you'll need a square sheet of paper.
Here's how to get a square from a
standard sheet of paper
1) Diagonal Folds: Fold the paper in half diagonally so
opposite corners meet evenly. Repeat with the other corners so your
folds look like the photo on the left.
2) Sideways Fold: Flip the paper over and then fold it in half so the sides meet evenly.
3) Triangle Fold: Pull the endpoints of the sideways fold together.
The paper will flatten into an isosceles triangle.
Flatten the triangle
4) Diamond fold: Fold each end point to meet the
tip of the top of the triangle.
You can customize your paper egg, (or paper ball or balloon) a bit in
step 4. Each pair of flaps can meet in the middle, or each side can be
folded alone. Try making both to see how they turn out.
The next sequence of steps will be repeated from each of the four
corners that you can fold like you're turning pages of a book.
5) Make The Pockets Fold: Fold each of the four corners in to the center.
6) Tuck in the pockets: Repeat this sequence with each of the four
6a) Hold the step 5 fold down, and fold the loose flap above it snugly against the edge.
6b) Fold the pointy tip back in to the center.
6c) Lift the flap you
just folded in half, pull out the flap beneath it, push it to open the
pocket, and tuck the 6b flap into the pocket.
Now, hold it so the end with a hole is up and blow really hard into the
hole to inflate the egg. It helps to gently pull the sides apart while
This origami bird nest project
can be a paper
balloon, paper ball, or a paper bird egg. I put mine in a
on top, and sometimes make
them with a paper bird inside as a special treat to share.